Lately, we’ve been producing a series of blogs on looking after yourself after some of our most popular procedures. Giving your body the time and space to recover properly after serious surgery is just as important as making sure your surgery is being performed by a top surgeon.
You’ll probably need an overnight stay in the hospital after eyelid surgery, and then perhaps a little longer based on your condition. You can also expect redness and swelling around the area of your eyelids – you don’t get this kind of surgery without a few after-effects! Here’s how to look after your eyelids after surgery:
- For the first couple of days, treat the incisions with ointment
- Place cold compresses over your eyes to reduce swelling
- Use eye drops to stop your eyes from drying out
- Avoid activities which may dry your eyes out; this includes reading,watching TV, and using a computer. Don’t wear contact lenses!
- Keep your head elevated as much as possible
Generally speaking, ‘normal life’ may resume around ten days after your surgery. For some people it might be a little earlier, and for some a little later. However, for a goof few weeks to a month after your surgery, you should avoid heavy exercise and wear sunglasses when possible to protect your eyes from the sun.
Eyelid correction is a serious surgery and it can take a while to recover – but don’t worry if it feels like it’s taking a long time. You will heal, and you’ll look fabulous when you do!